ʻŌhiʻa Lehua (Metrosideros polymorpha)




ʻŌhiʻa Lehua (Metrosideros polymorpha) is one of the most important plants in our native forests, or also known as a keystone species. It's name, polymorpha, refers to the many forms of this plant. ʻŌhiʻa has many varieties with different colors, leaf shape and size, and tree or shrub forms. They're also one of the first plants to grow on a lava field! They're great at capturing and retaining water, and helps our native forests thrive. ʻŌhiʻa is actually a really hot topic now, especially on the Big Island, because they are facing rapid ʻŌhiʻa death (ROD). It is a fungal disease that is killing ʻŌhiʻa trees and it can be easily spread! If you travel to the Big Island, please do not take any plant materials back home with you because it may spread to other ʻŌhiʻa trees on this island. If you plan to go hiking, be sure to spray your shoes with 70% ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) before and after!

The pictures in today's blog were all taken by me when I was at Hakalau National Wildlife Refuge on the Big Island. We outplanted ʻOha wai, which is a rare plant, but I was also able to plant my own ʻŌhiʻa seedling (pictured bottom left). While there, I also got to see the biggest ʻŌhiʻa tree that I've ever seen in my life! (Pictured bottom right) That little white speck at the bottom is me! In order to take that picture, we had to use the panorama setting 😅 



Comments

  1. I've heard about the ROD and I hope people find a way to stop it! I had always found it interesting how the ʻŌhiʻa Lehua pop right up in a lava field. I also have never seen one that big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason that this tree is so big is because its located in a forest reserve. There isnʻt a lot of human traffic to disturb it so it was able to grow big and strong!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project ʻOlonā - Nīoi (The Hawaiian Chili Pepper)

Pōpolo (Solanum americanum)

Pua Kala (Argemone glauca)