Pua Kala (Argemone glauca)




This beautiful flower is endemic to Hawaiʻi! It is one of the few endemic plants that has thorns. It's name, Pua kala, actually translates to thorny flower. Before invasive species like cattle or ungulates came to Hawaiʻi, plants did not have defenses because there was no need for them. But my guess is that this plant has developed physical defenses, such as thorns, to protect it's self from herbivores. Being a relative to the poppy, Pua kala also has chemical defenses that deter those who try to eat it!

Medicinal Usage: 

The sap and seeds were used as an analgesic for toothaches and nerve pain. It was also used for ulcers and warts.



Picture taken by: Ryan Ueunten

Comments

  1. Plants are so interesting. That's incredible this plant is related to the poppy! Do you have to cook it to use it medicinally or can the sap just be applied directly? I recently have been learning more about fungi and never knew that they're actually their own species separate from plants entirely! I'm looking forward to your other posts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my post! I don't think you need cook the sap. If you cook it, the heat might break down the chemicals and it would lose it's medicinal properties. This is just my guess though.

      Delete
    2. Makes sense. I know when you cook vegetables it can take away some of their benefits too so, I could totally see that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project ʻOlonā - Nīoi (The Hawaiian Chili Pepper)

Pōpolo (Solanum americanum)